After completing the readings this week, I felt that technology has improved the style of learning since 1995. In 1995, as the web was established, people tried to turn their learning outcomes and process online. 

According to the chapter of Major (2015), there are five different variables of the structure: enrollment, amount, timing, platform, and pathway. I found that the style of platform and pathway for open and distributed learning environments is novel. The DIY platform seems interesting, but it does not apply to everyone. I think the DIY platform is very suitable for those who adapt to new things quickly and those who want to explore more on social media. I have been taking online courses for more than one year. Most of the courses I have taken are provider-offered platforms, but a small part of them are DIY platforms. Some courses provided Youtube videos, I think Youtube videos are good for exploring knowledge that related to the course, but youtube videos cannot replace the entire course.

However, there are three online structural elements: centralized, decentralized, and distributed (Major, 2015). In my experience, I think centralized and decentralize pathway course is more direct and easy to access information. For example, Uvic uses brightspace platform to connect professors and students. I can get the course-related information from the bright space directly. At the same time, students can also share their thoughts in the discussion group. Distributed pathway requires high social media skills and more freedom and flexibility for students.

I learned a lot from readings and could be used in my future jobs, such as the design of the course, the target group of the course, and the way to learn. I am planning to be a teacher in the future, and I already got the TESOL certificate (for teaching English to non-native speakers). I got the certificate in China, and it is a distributed online course. We have the due time of different assignments, and our work is hidden. It is a great experience of distributed learning. Those pathways inspired me that how to make the course more interesting and let the students enjoy and learn at the same time.

Overall, the developments of the digital learning environment became more popular, especially during the pandemic time. There are a huge number of open and distributed courses, students can choose the most suitable for them.

Reference:

Major, C. H. (2015). Teaching Online – A Guide to Theory, Research, and Practice. Retrieved from http://ebookcentral.proquest.com/lib/uvic/detail.action?docID=3318874 (pp. 76-108)