After completing the reading for this week, I have understood the OER and its benefits. The author reminds “disposable assignments” in the article, which is not very valuable for future learning. Because students “disposable assignments” are students who finished them, and will not come back to revise or remix them. I think “disposable assignments” may be helpful for the exams, but not for research. However, OER has five 5R activities – retain, reuse, revise, remix, and redistribute. Students are invited to create new sites and they are invited to review and revise their previous works. Also, OER is open to everyone, when learners had stuck on material, that ORE may help them.

From my education, this course is my first course that learns Open and Distributes learning environment. I believe the course encourages us to experiment with the four-part test. For example, we created Worldpress, which is the new site and open for EDCI group. Also, for the last assignment, students are allowed to revise their previous topic and add new thoughts. For the part of the test, our work can be private or public, it depends on the personal choice.

If I am a teacher, I will design tasks that pass all four parts. I believed it is a process that enriches your knowledge. For high education, I believed “disposable assignments” are not necessary for students, pay a lot of time on it. Students will gain more from OER. Also, for most OER, there are free and students can check anytime, anywhere.

I noticed that question:” Do students who make their assignments publicly available demonstrate greater mastery of learning outcomes or show more enthusiasm for their work than students assigned traditional assessments? Why or why not?” The readers or students, still need to have critical thinking when they are learning. It’s not very accurate for some materials. Students need to do more research and critique it.

Reference:

Wiley, D. & Hilton, J. (2018). Defining OER-enabled Pedagogy. International Review of Research in Open and Distance Learning, 19(4).